Adam Rodriguez looks beyond Miami


Adam Rodríguez’s Detective Eric Delko may be vanishing from “CSI: Miami” in the upcoming eighth season, but the Cuban/Puerto Rican actor is reappearing everywhere else, it seems.
 “'CSI' was an amazing opportunity to develop my career,” the Yonkers-born Rodríguez said over the phone from Los Angeles. “I’m ready to explore any kind of [good] projects down the road on TV or the big screen.”
 So far, it’s going according to his plan.
 The 34-year-old with striking looks can currently be seen opposite singer Mary J. Blige and Taraji P. Henson in Tyler Perry’s dramedy “I Can Do Bad All by Myself,” which opened Friday and was the highest-grossing film of the weekend.
 He’s also joining ABC’s “Ugly Betty” for the upcoming season, premiering Oct. 9. He will play an old flame of Betty’s sister, Hilda, TVGuide.com reported.
 And he’s in three films yet to be released: the Latino thriller “A Kiss of Chaos,” “Let the Game Begin” (with Stephen Baldwin) and “Caught in the Crossfire,” a police corruption drama with rapper 50 Cent.
 “It’s not a secret that Latinos work harder,” said the actor, who splits time between L.A. and New York. “I’ve been working hard and waiting. Patience and hard work are paying off.”
 In “I Can Do Bad All by Myself,” Rodríguez plays Sandino, a Mexican immigrant looking for work who ends up entangled with April (Henson), a hard-drinking nightclub jazz singer forced to care for her sister’s three misbehaving children.
 “I’m so excited about this film,” he said. “My character in the movie becomes a hero in a beautiful way. The cultural aspect came up very natural for me.”
 When he’s not acting, Rodríguez likes to write poems and play guitar. He says music holds a special place in his life, something that attracted him to sharing a film with R&B queen Blige.
 “I’ve been a fan of Blige’s work for years,” he said. “The music really plays a key role in the story, and that made even easier the connection for me. We had a genuine bond.”
 Today, his main passion clearly is acting, but that was not always the case. In his youth, he hoped to play professional baseball, until he suffered a spinal injury.
 “The injury made clear that the dream of becoming a baseball player was intercepted,” he said. “When I turned 19, I said to myself: ‘I’m going to take acting classes and dedicate myself to this passion.’”
 Though he says he has been enjoying the Hollywood life, he misses the city. “I feel at home when I’m there,” he said. “If I’m in New York, you’ll find me hanging out with my friends and spending time with my family,” he explained.
 “One thing is for sure: The Latin food and the music” — he likes Marc Anthony and Gilberto Santa Rosa — “will be included.”




0 comments: