GERALDO APPLAUDS US LATINOS

GERALDO Rivera's last book, "His Panic," was about Latinos. His new book, "The Great Progression: How Hispanics Will Lead America to a New Era of Prosperity," is about Latinos. Presumably, his next will be the history of the rhumba. OK, so how's this one particular ethnic group leading us all to a new era of prosperity?

"This is a coming-of-age bio of the entire Latino community," said Geraldo. "This country so far has been off about immigration. Latinos are already part of our society. Interwoven inextricably with America."
Yeah, but so are the Chinese, Irish, Jewish, Italians, Africans, even a couple of Australians.
"Average age of the whites is 40. Average age of Latinos, 27. Take the Russians, for instance. They're an aging people. We're a hedge against aging. Justice Sonia Sotomayor's last house in The Bronx was the same house as my aunt Anna. We've been on Puerto Rican boards together. I jumped out of my seat when she was elected."
As the star of Fox News Channel's "Geraldo at Large" rumbled on with facts, figures and flowers to Sotomayor, I interrupted to ask what's my old friend the talk-show host think of today's talk shows?
"I'm very disheartened. A whole generation came of age on my program. Today it's all about who's shacking up with who. Is this what we're all about? Caring only about those who don't care about themselves? Kids now stay home on beautiful days to watch dehumanizing degrading people humiliate themselves. I mean Jon and Kate? I'm no saint. If I still had a talk show and they rated, I guess I'd have them on, too, but I'd sneer at them. I'd say, what are you doing to your children? And these TV traumas are controlled by producers who create artificial cliffhangers. There's not a moment of true spontaneity. There's a difference between a fake Jon Gosselin and a real Sonia Sotomayor."
Geraldo's book, out tomorrow, has a red, white and blue cover. And his goodbye to me was: "I'm off to do Regis' show. One of his producers is my ex-intern.

0 comments: